Hi! I’m Sara – I’m a kindergarten teacher by day, and I spend the rest of my time with my wonderful husband, Joe. We live in northwest Ohio, with our crazy bull terrier, Rumor. My family is my world and the best part of my life – I wouldn’t be anywhere near where I am without their constant love and support!
Beaming Banana is home to my sweet, healthy, vegan recipes! I absolutely love baking, and here I create my most favorite desserts using healthy, wholesome ingredients so that you can feel good about what you’re putting into your body but still enjoying the magic of baking.
I LOVE to bake. I have such wonderful memories growing up baking with my mom, and that love has stayed with me and simply morphed into baking with healthier ingredients since I adopted a totally plant-based lifestyle a few years ago. Sweet breakfast and desserts are my favorite. I love baking special treats that nobody would ever guess are actually healthy – the look on someone’s face when they love something I’ve made is priceless.
I find baking so therapeutic, and it makes me SO happy to create sweet treats for the ones I love most. It’s my goal that I can pass this feeling on to you, giving you healthy recipes and confidence to recreate them for yourself and the ones you love! You’ll see some recipes that are ridiculously easy that I make often, and some that are more special occasion-appropriate treats that are indulgent but still super healthy, and a savory recipe thrown in every now and then.
I started following a completely plant-based diet in January of 2015 purely with the goal to be healthier, and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I’m so passionate about eating healthily and feel that my body works optimally and feels best when I’m eating vegan. So many people think eating vegan/plant-based is about deprivation – that couldn’t be further from the truth. I’ve never felt LESS deprived – and I grew up eating a traditional, American diet. Once I started eating this way, I saw the abundance that plant foods offer, and I felt so amazing I’ve never looked back. It’s not that you’ll never eat your favorite foods again – I’m all about remembering those classic, comforting recipes you love and giving them a healthy makeover.
There are ENDLESS benefits to eating a plant-based diet, and literally no drawbacks. It’s so sad that there’s so much misconception, confusion, and even deception in the way food is advertised to the public. After a lot of reading and research I’ve come to discover the endless benefits of eating this way, and I only wish I discovered it sooner!
I realize that what works for me may not work for everybody, but I do know that this way of eating could help so many people to feel as amazing as I do. It may come as a surprise, but you don’t HAVE to eat the crap that’s the norm. You don’t have to feel like crap and be sick. It’s SO possible, and absolutely amazing, to thrive on a plant-based diet, and you’ll seriously never even think of going back once you realize how incredible you feel. My goal in posting recipes is to help you see the abundance of options and creativity there is behind healthy vegan baking, and just how fun, sweet, and delicious fueling your body in a healthy way can be. This is what has worked for me, and hopefully it helps you, too!
I hope what you find here makes you beam. 🙂
- I went to the Ohio State University for undergrad and a Master’s degree, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Buckeye for life. I also met my favorite person ever/husband Joe there. Go bucks!
- I got married to my best friend and love of my life in July, 2016. We’re in the process of building a house, and we’re ridiculously excited. Move in is May, 2017!
- I have a
slightout of control candle addiction. All the baked good scents, please.
- I have a bull terrier, Rumor, that is absolutely insane, but I love to death.
- I’m obsessed with all things Christmas. I like to think I’d make a great elf.
- Family and faith are everything to me. I think my parents are coolest people ever, and look up to/admire them more than they’ll ever know.
- My top 5 favorite foods, in no particular order: almond butter, bananas (ahem, see the name of this blog), dates, sweet potatoes, chocolate!
- I HATE cold weather. So it’s no surprise that spring and summer are my favorite time of year (other than Christmas, of course – see #5).
- I work out 7 days a week, freaking love it, and would probably go crazy if I didn’t. Joe and I ran a marathon together in 2016 and it was one of the hardest but coolest accomplishment of my life!
- It’s my dream to write a healthy, vegan dessert cookbook some day.
My Favorite Recipes: