Hi, I’m Sara! This is the place for me to share my favorite vegan recipes with you. I’m so passionate about living a healthy lifestyle, and want to spread the message of how awesome plants can make you feel! You’ll find mostly sweets around here, but the occasional savory recipe, too. All of my recipes are simple, and made with just a few healthy ingredients. Whether you’re vegan or not, you’ll see that healthy food can be amazingly delicious, and you’ll feel amazing, too!
I’m a kindergarten teacher by day, and I spend the rest of my time with my amazing husband, Joe. We live in northwest Ohio, with our crazy bull terrier, Rumor. My family is my world and the best part of my life – I wouldn’t be anywhere near where I am without their constant love and support!
Beaming Banana is home to my sweet, healthy, vegan recipes! I absolutely love baking, and here I create my most favorite desserts using healthy, wholesome ingredients so that you can feel good about what you’re putting into your body but still enjoying the magic of baking. I’ve always LOVED to bake. I have such wonderful memories growing up baking with my mom, and that love has stayed with me and simply morphed into baking with healthier ingredients since I adopted a totally vegan lifestyle a few years ago. Sweet breakfast and desserts are my favorite. You’ll see some recipes that are ridiculously easy that I make often, and some that are more special occasion-appropriate treats that are indulgent but still super healthy, and a savory recipe thrown in every now and then.
I started a completely plant-based diet in January of 2015 purely with the goal to be healthier, and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. While health was definitely my motivation to start, I’ve since learned a LOT about the ethical and environmental impacts of animal agriculture, and now I’d say the ethical component is most important to me. All of the sweet, innocent animals are friends, not food!
I’m so passionate about eating healthily and feel that my body works optimally and feels best when I’m eating vegan. So many people think eating vegan/plant-based is about deprivation – that couldn’t be further from the truth. I’ve never felt LESS deprived – and I grew up eating a traditional, American diet. Once I started eating this way, I saw the abundance that plant foods offer, and I felt so amazing I’ve never looked back. Plus I love that I’m no longer contributing to the horrible abuse and slaughtering of innocent animals
I realize that what works for me may not work for everybody, but I do know that this way of eating could help so many people to feel as amazing as I do. It may come as a surprise, but you don’t HAVE to eat the crap that’s pushed on you by advertising. You don’t have to feel terrible and sick all the time. You don’t have to contribute to the murder of thousands of animals every day, or to the destruction of our planet. It’s SO possible to thrive on a vegan diet, and you’ll seriously never even think of going back once you realize how incredible you feel. My goal in posting recipes is to help you see the abundance of options and creativity there is behind healthy vegan baking, and just how fun, sweet, and delicious fueling your body in a healthy way can be. This is what has worked for me, and hopefully it helps you, too!
I hope what you find here makes you beam. 🙂
- Family and faith are everything to me. My husband is my best friend, biggest support, and the best partner in life I could’ve ever dreamed of (and yes, he’s plant-based!), and my parents are coolest people ever. I look up to/admire them more than they’ll ever know!
- I went vegan in January 2015.
- I went to the Ohio State University for undergrad and a Master’s degree in early childhood education, and I’m a now a kindergarten teacher. Buckeye for life!
- My top 5 favorite foods: bananas, almond butter, sweet potatoes, dates, chocolate!
- I have a total candle addiction. They’re just so comforting and lovely. All the baked good scents, please!
- I’m a doggy mama to my sweet, sometimes insane, bull terrier, Rumor.
- I’m obsessed with all things Christmas!
- I have a secret dream to open a little vegan bakery/cafe someday, in the distant future!
- I HATE cold weather. So it’s no surprise that spring and summer are my favorite time of year (other than December, of course – see #5).
- I work out 7 days a week, freaking love it, and would probably go crazy if I didn’t. Joe and I ran a marathon together in 2016 and it was one of the hardest but coolest accomplishments of my life!
My Favorite Blog Recipes:
- Chocolate chip cookie gooey bars
- Vegan soft batch chocolate chip cookies
- Chocolate cheesecake
- 3 ingredient chocolate cereal – healthy cocoa puffs!!
- Chocolate chip banana bars
- Almond butter swirl brownies
- Dark chocolate frosted brownies
- Gingerbread Men
Favorite Vegan Education Resources:
- Podcasts – all on iTunes
- The Rich Roll Podcast
- Vegan Warrior Princesses Attack!
- Plantriotic Podcast
- Thought for Food Podcast
- No Meat Athlete Radio